Jansson’s Temptation (Jansson’s Frestelse)
- 2 large onions
- 5 potatoes
- 14-16 anchovy fillets (Swedish style canned anchovy) Anchovy liquid (from the can)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ⅔ – 1 cup cream
- Peel the onions and slice thinly.
- Fry the onions in butter until slightly caramelized.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into fine strips.
- Arrange half the potatoes in a buttered, heatproof dish.
- Put the anchovies and onions on top.
- Add the rest of the potatoes.
- Pour on half of the cream and a little anchovy liquid.
- Dot with pats of butter.
- Bake in a 450-degree oven until the potatoes are golden brown.
- Add the remaining cream and continue baking until the potatoes are tender.
- About 45-60 minutes total baking time.