Old-Fashioned Pickled Cucumbers (Gammaldags Pressgurka)
- 1 medium sized cucumber
- A little salt
- ½ cup white spirit vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 3 T. sugar
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Peel the cucumber and slice it thinly.
- Put the slices into a bowl, salting slightly between layers.
- Place a similar size bowl on top and weight it down.
- Let stand for about one hour.
- Mix a dressing of vinegar, water, sugar, white pepper and parsley.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Discard the liquid which has collected around the pressed cucumbers.
- Pour the dressing over the slices of cucumber, and chill the salad for several hours be-fore serving.